Exposure to High Levels of Asbestos

Asbestos is a greatly sought, natural occurring substance made up of fibrous silicate and used mainly for construction. The material is largely fire resistant. Its name is actually derived from a Greek word meaning inextinguishable due to its ability to withstand fire. It is very durable and can withstand extreme temperatures. It is also capable of absorbing liquids. It is known for its excellent tensile strength.

Asbestos comes in three varieties: chrysotile or white, amosite or brown and crocidolite or blue asbestos. Asbestos was first mined in North America in the 1800s. It is used to strengthen cement that is used for building construction.

The beneficial properties of asbestos made it so popular. Until recently, when it was found out that asbestos can cause cancer. Asbestos is a carcinogen made up of fibrous minerals 200 times thinner than a person’s hair. This substance is not visible to the naked eye. Prolong exposure to these minute fibers is dangerous to human health. Repeated exposure can lead to cancer of lungs and stomach.

It is a good idea to determine the asbestos levels of a house before undertaking a remodeling project. Old homes usually utilized asbestos. Asbestos testing conducted by professionals will give you a clear idea on what you are dealing with. To prevent hazards, it will be a good idea to hire a contractor who is trained to handle asbestos.

Asbestos is found in almost every part of the environment. Drinking water, products and air can be contaminated by this substance to a small degree. Asbestos testing Sydney can help you determine if the levels are hazardous to health. One time exposure to high level of asbestos or short term exposure to the substance will not cause health hazards. Continuous exposure to high levels should be avoided at all cost.

Leave a comment